When you break it down you only need a small handful of basic cleaning solutions to keep a natural clean home. I tend to refill amber spray bottles that I’ve bought in the past and I keep the labels on to make it clear which is which. Over the years I have developed a few of my favourites based on the below pantry essentials:
- Bi-carb soda
- White vinegar
- Vanilla essence
- Olive oil
- A few basic essential oils
+ Food safe kitchen spray
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup cooled boiled water
- 1-2 tablespoons vanilla essence
Mix in a spray bottle and keep on hand to spray the kitchen bench. The vodka is enough to make the spray a disinfectant yet it’s completely food safe without the need for nasty chemicals.
+ To soak pots & pans
- Sprinkle on 2 tablespoons bicarb soda
- Pour 1/4 cup vinegar
Let it bubble & fizz for a few minutes, then fill the pot to the top with water and soak overnight, scrub lightly with steel wool in the morning if required.
Plain vinegar also makes for a great natural rinse aid for your dishwasher.
+ Bathroom tiles
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons bicarb soda
- 10 drops essential oils of choice – tea tree, lavender or citrusy scents are good for cleaning
Mix in a jar slowly adding the vinegar (mind the reaction), use to dampen a clean cloth then wipe over the tiles, giving the bottom of the shower a bit of extra elbow grease with a wooden scrubbing brush if needed.
- Hot water
- Small squirt of castile soap
- 5-10 drops of essential oils of choice (not citrus if you have wooden floors)
Mix in a jar and pour a small amount over your mop cloth before mopping each room, then pop the cloth in the laundry when you’re done and let the floors air dry.
+ Shower screens and taps
- I just use a microfibre cloth with a bit of water.
- 1 tablespoon of bi-carb soda
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- A few drops of essential oils of choice
Sprinkle the bowl with the bi-carb soda, add the vinegar and essential oils, scrub with the toilet brush and let it sit for a few minutes before flushing.
- Equal parts vinegar and water
Spray over your windows and mirrors and wipe with newspaper for sparkling clear glass.
+ Stainless steel cupboards, stove, appliances
- Olive oil
Simply pour a few glugs onto a cloth and rub over your stainless steel, then polish with a microfibre cloth.